An Update on COVID-19 Booster Shots
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released updated Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 booster shot recommendations for all individuals age 18 and older.
This new guidance expands booster eligibility to all individuals age 18 and older who completed their initial Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccine series at least six months prior. This is in addition to the previous recommendation issued for all individuals age 18 and older that received a Janssen/J&J vaccine two or more months ago.
A booster shot is given to individuals when the immune system response to the primary vaccine series has likely decreased over time. This is positive news for people seeking additional protection against COVID-19 ahead of holiday gatherings.
Sutter Health Plus covers COVID-19 vaccines for our members, including additional doses or booster shots, even when administered out-of-network. Vaccinations are offered at multiple locations across the Sutter Health Plus service area. Members can check appointment availability through:
- Network pharmacies
- The Sutter Health COVID-19 Vaccine appointment line at 844-987-6115
- Sutter’s patient portal, My Health Online
- My Turn, California’s COVID-19 vaccine scheduling portal
Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination and Test Results
Members who received their COVID-19 vaccination(s) or testing with Sutter can view and share proof of their COVID-19 vaccination(s) or test results easily from My Health Online. After signing in, members can click the Menu button, scroll to My Record and select COVID-19 to view details. Visit Sutter’s COVID-19 Vaccine Resources page for more information.
Additionally, all members can go to California’s Digital COVID-19 Vaccine Record site to get a link to a QR code and digital copy of their COVID-19 vaccination record.
With the increasing vaccine eligibility and supply, the total number of eligible Californians (age five and older) fully vaccinated against COVID-19 now tops 67%, according to the state.
To maximize protection from COVID-19 and prevent possibly spreading COVID-19 to others, the CDC still recommends wearing a mask indoors in public settings—regardless of vaccination status.
For up-to-date information about COVID-19, visit:
- Sutter Health Plus COVID-19 Coverage, Cost and Access to Care for health plan information and FAQs
- Sutter Health COVID-19 Resources for clinical information, a COVID-19 interactive screener, patient information, and more
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for federal guidance, U.S. data tracking, and public health information
- California Department of Public Health for California-specific alerts, data tracking, resources and guidance