Coverage and Care While Traveling
After more than a year at home, many Californians are ready to hit the road and do some traveling. Before heading out for your next big adventure, it’s important to know where to access care while away from home.
Sutter Health Plus members have access to a variety of in-person or virtual care options while traveling—and members are covered for emergency and urgent care worldwide. The traveling checklist below can help members prepare for their trip and understand their benefits and coverage.
- Register for the Sutter Health Plus Member Portal to easily access information about benefits, review your copays, access your member ID card, and more from a mobile device or computer.
- Download the My Health Online app from the App Store or Google Play to message your care team, find a Sutter Walk-In Care or Urgent Care and schedule an appointment, or schedule a video visit with a Sutter provider.
- Check your Evidence of Coverage and Disclosure Form on the Member Portal to understand what to do in case of an emergency medical condition and how to receive covered services no matter where you are.
- Talk with a provider about managing ongoing medical conditions while traveling.
- Refill eligible prescriptions at a network pharmacy or order up to a 100-day supply for maintenance drugs, as your prescription and benefit plan allows, from Express Scripts.
Where to Access Care
When traveling locally, convenient same-day care for everyday illnesses and common health needs is available at any Sutter Walk-In Care across Northern California. Adults and children 18 months and older are welcome daily from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; holiday and summer hours may vary. While appointments are not needed, members are encouraged to schedule a visit through My Health Online or by calling (800) 972-5547.
Virtual care with a Sutter provider, a member’s care team, or a Walk-In Care clinician is available for minor health issues from a phone, tablet, or computer—anytime, anywhere. Members can schedule a video visit daily from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. through My Health Online.
and Urgent Care
Members needing emergency or urgent care are covered in or out-of-network. To find the nearest in-network Urgent Care facility, members can use the My Health Online app or contact their PCP, the Sutter 24/7 nurse advice line, or Sutter Health Plus Member Services using the numbers listed on their member ID card.
To understand details regarding out-of-area care, filing a claim, and definitions of Emergency Services and Urgent Care, members should visit the Member Portal and review their Evidence of Coverage and Disclosure Form.
For more information, call Member Services at (855) 315-5800 weekdays from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. or visit sutterhealthplus.org/members/care-while-traveling.