Providers Improve Care, Experience with Top-of-the-Line Electronic Health Record System
The health care industry’s shift to electronic medical records is driven by many benefits, including improved quality of care and efficiency. But not all electronic health record (EHR) systems are equal.
“Sutter EHR is based on Epic, the most robust technology platform on the market,” said David Butler, M.D., Sutter Health vice president of EHR Optimization and Transformation. “We chose top-of-the-line technology to connect our care network because Sutter EHR is the backbone of our whole system.”
An EHR is a computerized version of a patient’s health record, containing everything from medical history to contact and insurance information. Using Sutter EHR, caregivers at any participating Sutter facility can quickly access patient records to provide exceptional care.
“Sutter EHR allows us to better coordinate treatment and service for our patients across the care continuum,” Dr. Butler explained. “This ranges from promoting wellness to providing care with optimal clinical outcomes. A more streamlined, efficient and integrated process helps us to become more affordable for our patients.”
Here are a few Sutter EHR features and benefits:
- Caregivers can quickly access the information they need to provide excellent care. This information includes test results, medical history, medications and prior health conditions, as well as a robust, up-to-date medical library.
- The system automatically cross-checks new prescriptions. An alert message instantly notifies clinicians if there’s a potential negative reaction with allergies or current medications.
- The physician directly enters orders and prescriptions into the EHR instead of handwriting them. This helps pharmacists and other caregivers clearly read the information, reducing human errors.
- Lab results and X-rays can be sent electronically. This supports more immediate analysis, diagnosis and treatment.
- Patients can directly access their own information on MyHealthOnline. This secure website provides quick, convenient access to important parts of a patient’s health record. Patients can also go online to schedule appointments, email doctors, renew prescriptions, see test results and more.
Sutter Health takes patient confidentiality seriously. The security measures around Sutter EHR, including auditing and monitoring of access, comply with state and federal laws protecting patient health information.
Many medical groups and hospitals in Sutter Health Plus network are already using the Sutter EHR. This includes physicians who practice with Sutter Medical Group, Gould Medical Foundation and Sutter Medical Group of the Redwoods.