Primary Care Physicians
A member’s primary care physician (PCP) provides or coordinates most care such as routine exams, preventive care and treatment for illnesses and minor injuries. It’s important to select the right PCP and begin building a long-term, personal relationship.
When choosing a PCP, a member also selects the PCP’s medical group. Many covered services, including visits to a specialist, require a referral and prior authorization from the medical group. The PCP will make referrals to specialists within the same medical group.
What to Consider
When selecting a PCP there are a few things to keep in mind, including personal needs, location and convenience of care.
- Personal Needs – PCPs typically specialize in family medicine, internal medicine, gynecology or pediatrics. A member’s primary health issues and concerns, preferred language and whether a provider is male or female are all important considerations.
- Location – By selecting a PCP who is close to home, work or a child’s school, a member can access convenient care that fits their schedule and commute patterns as they travel throughout the day.
- Convenience – It can be beneficial to select a PCP who offers convenient online services, such as My Health Online, to securely view test results, renew prescriptions, request appointments and email their care team.
for a PCP
Sutter Health Plus makes it easy to search for an in-network PCP.
- Visit sutterhealthplus.org/providersearch to access the Provider Search tool.
- Enter a city or ZIP code and distance radius.
- Select a PCP specialty type.
- Narrow search results by specialty, medical group, or other criteria if desired.
New Members Selecting
Once you have selected a PCP, include their Sutter Health Plus Provider ID number and the provider’s name on your enrollment form. If you are enrolling as a new member and your current Sutter Health-affiliated PCP participates in the Sutter Health Plus network, you don’t need to change PCPs—even if the practice is closed to new patients. Simply include their Sutter Health Plus Provider ID number and check Current Patient on your enrollment form.
Existing Members Changing a
Sutter Health Plus members can change their PCP at any time by calling Member Services at 855-315-5800 or online through the Member Portal.